Although you may be the type of homeowner who regularly cleans their kitchen from top to bottom, there may come a time when you’ll need to replace those old kitchen cabinets instead of re-facing them. This could be for the better in cases where cabinets are damaged and no longer clean looking and beautiful. After all, your cabinets are subjected to hot steam, cooking food and even sunlight on a daily basis.
Here’s how to tell if your kitchen cabinets in New Jersey need to be replaced:
- Water damage: Kitchen cabinets in newer or older homes can fall victim to water damage—especially cabinets made of wood. Signs of water damage include darkened spots, swollen doors/sides/shelves, general warping, bubbling on inside or outside surfaces, de-lamination, trouble closing and mold or mildew.
- No longer working for you: A lack of function can mean two things—that the cabinets are not opening and closing properly, or their style or layout is not working for you. If you have good-looking cabinets but don’t like using them because they don’t function well, then you might consider replacing them with new, better functioning and aesthetically pleasing cabinets.
- Mold growth: Wiping down your kitchen cabinets regularly can prevent the growth or spread of mold. Catching mold early can remedy the problem; unfortunately, mold can grow in unseen places and compromise the structure of your cabinets. Since mold growth is usually caused by a water leak behind or near your cabinets, you need to find the source of the leak before replacing them to avoid another mold problem.
- Smells bad: Do the insides of your cabinets smell awful? What about the doors and frames? There are several factors that contribute to stinky kitchen cabinets, including old food, mold, mildew, spilled liquids, pest droppings and urine and the age of cabinet materials. Most bad odors have seeped into the cabinet materials, so you might give serious thought to starting over from scratch.
- Beyond repair: Whether it’s water damage, mold, wood rot, foul smells or damage done by kids or pets, sometimes your kitchen cabinets are beyond repair. For whatever reason, if the frames or shelves are falling apart, a professional will likely tell you they cannot re-face the kitchen cabinetry.
- Changing kitchen layout: If you’re planning a total kitchen remodel or are relocating your kitchen, then this is the time to give thought to replacing your old cabinets—especially if they are worse for wear. You will get to choose new replacement cabinets that will look good and function well in your new kitchen layout.
At Sunshine Home Supplies, we offer a wide selection of kitchen cabinets in all shapes, sizes and types to fit your budget. For instance, we carry beautiful, quality-made kitchen cabinetry manufactured by J&K Cabinetry. These cabinets are constructed with solid wood frames and doors and metal door hinges, as well as other quality features, which makes them both highly durable and quite functional. Give us a call to learn more about these and other kitchen cabinets we carry in New Jersey!